Bone broth is in its nutritional glory at the present. It is easy to make and full of minerals that support the immune system and contains over 19 easy-to-absorb, essential and non-essential amino acids such as glutamine, glycine and proline that provide the building blocks for protein which fuel every cell in our body. Bone broth also contains collagen which has so many healing properties and anti-aging properties it’s hard to just pick a few. Collagen improves skin elasticity, skin moisture, reduces cellulite and stretch marks.
4-6 quart slow cooker
- 1-2 lbs organic bones such as chicken, turkey, beef, bison, lamb etc will work. Ask your local butcher or grocer if you don’t have bones but I love using rotisserie chicken bones and steak bones after we prepare a dinner.
- 2 cups of organic vegetables that you have on hand such as celery stalks, carrot, onions, garlic, broccoli stems etc. Organic is best!
- 10-12 cups filtered water or enough to cover bones- about 1 inch space from top of the slow cooker.
- 1 tbsp Apple cider vinegar
- Sea salt (I start w 3 tsp) and pepper to taste
- Roast Bones*
- Put bones and vegetables (they do not need to be chopped) into the slow cooker and top with water until covered.
- Add the salt, pepper and apple cider vinegar.
- Cook on LOW setting for a minimum of 24 hours to achieve the right consistency and nutritional output.
- Turn on warm and let cool for about 30 minutes before ladling into jars
- Place strainer over a bowl or directly over jar and ladle broth into strainer to separate bones and vegetables from the liquid.
- While broth is still hot re-season with salt and pepper or get creative and add other spice blends.
- Do not store in fridge or freezer until broth cools to room temperature in the jars.
- I put mine in small jars so that I can use a little at a time and keep a few on hand in my fridge at all times. The rest I leave in my freezer as it will keep for several months. I just pull out small jars from the freezer into the fridge as I run low
All supplements can be purchased through our DFH Select Store or the individual supplement links below. There are many times we can not consume a fresh cup of bone broth or maybe you’re a vegetarian* and it’s not your thing, we have some supplement recommendations that can help keep you going:
Amino Acid Synergy: Amino Acid Synergy is useful as a general supplement for individuals whose diets are insufficient in quality protein, such as athletes who require additional amino acids to maintain or achieve greater lean body mass, and for those who have confirmed amino acid deficiencies from metabolic testing. Amino Acid Synergy provides a mixture of essential amino acids in the free-form, meaning they are immediately available for absorption and can be put to metabolic use much more readily and rapidly, as compared to amino acids contained in dietary protein.
- vegetarian friendly
PurePaleo™ Protein is a novel, great-tasting, dairy-free protein powder, yielding 21 g of protein per serving. It contains HydroBEEF™, a highly concentrated, pure beef protein, produced through an exclusive proprietary process that allows the protein to be hydrolyzed into more peptides, resulting in easier absorption and assimilation. This product contains beef from animals raised in Sweden without hormones or antibiotics, and is free of any GMO grains, grasses, and/or ensilage.
GI Revive offers comprehensive support for optimum gastrointestinal health and function. The lining of the gut must have proper permeability and integrity so it can not only absorb nutrients, but also prevent toxins, allergens and microbes from gaining access to the blood stream. Maintaining gut health is the key to maintaining overall wellness.
*Optional (you can roast the bones at 400 degrees F for about 30 minutes before adding to the slow cooker) Roasted bones impart more flavor and help release the marrow and other nutrients from the bones but if you are short on time you can skip this step.